24-Inch HYGE system is designed to simulate the effects of a collision
in acceleration rather than a deceleration mode. The standard
24-inch HYGE has 1,000,000 pounds (4.5 Meganewtons) of thrust.
The HYGE’s design provides extremely repeatable and reproducible
acceleration pulses, enabling accurate simulation and modeling
of crash conditions. The HYGE system has proven its repeatability/reliability
over time. Systems over 40 years old routinely demonstrate repeatability
of better than +/- 2% today.
The 24-inch HYGE systems are in active used for a variety of
automotive and aircraft safety testing applications. Some typical
HYGETM applications include:
- Testing of air-bag systems, including firing circuits, sensors,
squibs and air bag units
- Side impact testing.
- Testing auto seat belts, including belt design, webbing,
hardware and anchors.
- Testing auto interior parts, such as dash boards, bolsters
and head liner trim.
- Side air-bag testing
- Biodynamic testing of human subjects to determine biological
limits and effects of shock.
- Used as a velocity source for barrier auto crash testing.
This involves testing components such as bumper systems and
front and rear panels.
- Shock testing of automotive components sold as separate items,
such as stereos and cellular telephones.
- Testing of child restraint seats and booster seats.
- Shock testing of automobile electronic control modules.
- Testing of aircraft seats, seat belts and components.
- Testing effects of cargo inside aircraft cargo hold during
- Shock testing of military, space systems and components.
- Simulation of mine blast to US and European specifications.
- Proven Accuracy – capable of simulating
actual crash pulses to within +/-2%.
- Repeatability – better than +/-2%,
even after more than 40 years and 30,000 firings.
- Reproducibility – pulses can be accurately
reproduced on different HYGETM systems, enabling sharing of
test programs and results between components suppliers and OEM’s.
- Versatility – The HYGETM
has the structural integrity and thrust capability to perform
side impact tests which are not possible with “light rail”
type systems. Lightweight sled allows testing of light trucks
and sport utility vehicles.
- Universally Accepted --testing standard for
FASS and FAA requirements.
- Mechanically Simple – only 2 moving
- User Friendly –operating software.
- Experienced installation, training and service
The 24-inch HYGE system consists of the following major components:
- The Actuator, which has a stroke length of 6 feet (182.8 cm)
- The Rail System and Carriage.
- The Pneumatic System, which provides pressurized gas for
firing the piston.
- The Fluid Transfer System, which provides fluid to vary the
volume of the cylinders.
- The Control Center, which contains the valve system, computer
control and operator station.
Actuator consists of two cylinders; each with a 24-inch (61 cm)
bore. The total length of the Actuator is 30.7 ft (9.4 m). It
is mounted on the face of a reinforced concrete foundation block
The purpose of the metering pin is to throttle the amount of
energy transferred to the Carriage at any given time during firing,
thereby determining the shape of the acceleration pulse. A particular
crash situation, will have a waveform determined by actual crash
tests or by computer modeling. The metering pin is machined to
produce the desired pulse shape for a given payload gas pressure/volume
parameters. In addition, aspects of the waveform can be varied
through changes in the gas volumes and pressures in each cylinder
prior to firing. A half-sine metering pin is provided with the
HYGE, INC. offers a metering pin design program, which enables
the engineer to enter the characteristics of the desired waveform
and automatically generate the required metering pin profile.
Rail System and Carriage
The HYGE rail units are manufactured in 10-foot (3m) sections.
A 100-foot (30.4M) rail assembly is supplied with the system as
standard. The rail sections are installed approximately 4-feet
(130cm) apart. Additional rails are available in 10-foot sections.
The carriage is approximately 5 feet (1.5 m) wide by 12 feet
(3.7 m) long, and weighs approximately 3600 pounds (1630kg). It
has a maximum payload capacity of 10,000 pounds (4,500 kg). The
carriage has pneumatic brakes, which operate on the rails through
brake pads. The service brake pressure is set by the operator
to establish brake force throughout the acceleration phase and
subsequent slowdown to stop. The Carriage is also provided with
an emergency brake control system with an on-board pressurized
tank, valve and switch. This provides a secondary system to stop
the Carriage if the initial service brake pressure is insufficient.
The maximum braking force is approximately 34,000 lbf (151,200
N). The thrust and brake system combine to produce very regular
The compressed air module consists of multistage compressors,
capable of producing 34 scfm (962 l/m) @ 4500 PSI (310 Bar). 18
storage tanks (1270 cubic inch each), a dryer, pulsation tank,
condensing trap and blow-down tank with filter and oil separator
are provided, complete with piping and electrical components on
a steel framework ready for installation.
Fluid Transfer System
The Hydraulic Reservoir and Transfer system provides the means
of varying the volume of the cylinders. By adding or removing
fluid, the thrust produced by a given set and load pressure combination
may be adjusted to achieve the desired test conditions. The system
includes reservoir tanks, pumps and the required valves, controls
and sensors. The necessary hydraulic hoses are provided to connect
the transfer and reservoir system to the actuator.
The automated control system provides complete automation of the
preparation and firing sequence. A graphical user interface allows
the operator to visually determine the status of the system at
a glance, and program firing parameters using a menu system. The
control center also offers a convenient interface to a variety
of supporting equipment.
- Max. Load Pressure: 3000 psig (207
- Set pressure for Max. Load Pressure:
500 psig (34.5 bar)
- Maximum force with Max. Load Pressure: 1,000,000
lbf. ( 4500 kNewton)
- Load Cylinder: 9-feet long (274.3 cm)
with a 24-inch (60.96 cm) dia bore
- Set Cylinder: 15.5-feet long (472.44
cm) with a 24-inch (60.96 cm) dia bore
- Maximum stroke length: 6 feet (182.8
- Maximum Acceleration: 100 G (980 m/s2)
- Maximum payload: 10000 lb. (4536 kg)
- Maximum Velocity: 100 MPH (161 killometer/hour)
- As described above two compressors, capable of producing
34 scfm (962 l/min) @ 4500 PSI (310 bar), storage tanks,
- Compressed dry nitrogen in regulated bottles that can
hold 2200 psi
(152 Bar) for set cylinder.
image below to view larger version